Tutioral 1: patient > appointment > transaction > claim > EOB > payment
Walk through entering Fred Flintstone. Add Fred Flintstone to your OD Link as you go through this tutorial.
Getting to the Patient Window from another place in OD Link
1. If you are already in OD Link, click on the Patient Tab to go to the Patient Window.
2. Check to see if "Fred Flintstone " is already entered (type the first few letters of the first and last names). Checking if the patient is already entered in OD Link is a good habit to avoid duplicate records.
3. If Fred is not found, add him by clicking the "+" add button.
The steps to add demographics for Fred Flintstone are automated; along the top menu, click "OD Link", then click "ADD FRED FLINTSTONE (ctrl-8)" and click "Okay." You can watch Fred's information populate on the screen.
More about how to add a new patient.
Schedule an Appointment
Options in the Calendar:
1. Click the "+" add button to schedule the appointment (whichever patient was last viewed in the Patient Window will be scheduled for the appointment).
2. Click "clear" if you want to cancel or move an appointment.
3. Click on a different day (whether making the appointment the first time or rescheduling).
4. Click "Close" when you are finished in the calendar.
More about how to add an appointment.
Begin a Transaction for this patient
In the Transaction Window, the demographics and most recent prescription populate automatically from the Patient Window:
Click in the area under "Items Code" where "92004" is, the list of codes comes down. You can type in the code or pick one from the list.
More about how to add a TRANSACTION.
Start a CLAIM (bill insurance)
Enter the amount the patient owes
This pop-up window opens after the insurance payer was clicked.
1. Amount patient owes (you can change it later)
2. Click "Credit" to create the claim
More about how to create a claim.
Claim created and ready to be sent
In the Transaction Window, the claim is created and ready to be submitted. The "Sent" box turns green until the claim submission date is entered.
The claim can be seen in 3 different ways - list view, detail view, red 1500 form (green rectangle).
Claim Sent Date turns white when the claim is submitted. Claims can be submitted electronically (most offices assign a staff member to batch and send claims. More about how to batch and send claims). If the claim is submitted on the web (VSP, EyeMed), mark the claim as sent by clicking the "+" add button and today's date will be entered in the "Sent" box.
Collect a payment from the patient
At the bottom of the Transaction Window, the amount due is shown (red rectangle).
Click the payment source - check, cash or credit card (green rectangle). Enter the amount being paid and click "Continue." You may be prompted about "dispensed" (is the job finished and given to the patient) and/or "call back" (practice building follow-up tool); both options may be turned off in PREFERENCES.
EOB - Record Insurance payment
In the Transaction Window, the EOB button turns green if the claim is pending payment from the insurance company.
In the Transaction Window, find the patient who's insurance payment needs to be recorded or posted (use the "find" magnifying glass button at the top of the page).
Click on "EOB."
NOTE: Electronic "EOB 's" are called "ERA's," get them by clicking TRACK on the Apex website.
EOB - Record insurance payment
In this example, Medicare pays $100 of the $124 billed amount,
1. Enter the amount
2. Click Accept
More about posting insurance payments.
Transaction Payment Summary
In the Transaction Window, OD Link summarizes payments on this transaction sorted by date and shows the source (patient or insurance) and the total paid:
In this example:
"Ins" - Insurance payment ($100.00)
"Pt." - Patient payment ($15.00)
Total paid ($115.00)
Patient balance due ($0.00)